Monday, November 11, 2013

OLD WOOL MILL



 When I lived in Cleveland, TN for a short time, I used to pass by this worn down phantom of the early Industrial Revolution era. I found out it is most often referred to by locals as the Old Wool Mill. Founded in 1880 by C.L. Hardwicke, this mill was the creators of such fashion known then as the dollar pants, of wool and jean cloth. Barely surviving the Depression era of the 1930's, and emerging from the financial strains to produce fabric for military uniforms during WWII. This industrial mill also survived through several fires in the turn of the century. It is a building that has now been vandalized beyond recognition from its golden era as American Industry pioneers. Walking passed it always gives me a sad feeling, and I cannot help but to imagine a ghost from the past looking through the shattered windows into a new world. 



No comments:

Post a Comment